I went to Powell’s Wednesday and adjusted my list slightly. I took off “The Power of Myth” because it turns out to be a transcript of the TV series. I may just NetFlix the series. But joy of joys I found a new novel by Richard Russo
- Rhino Ranch. Larry McMurtry. Just got it from Amazon. I want to see what happens to Duane. I may need to re-read The Last Picture Show to bring myself back to speed.
- That Old Cape Magic. Richard Russo. A new Richard Russo novel; I’ll be reading that as soon as it gets here!
- Girls Like Us Sheila Weller. A biography of Carol King, Carly Simon, and Joni Mitchell. I’m thinking it will be an interesting view of the 70’s.
- A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. I figure I’ll be lost about 1/2 way through the 1st sentence.
- Friday Night Lights by H. G. Bissinger. I liked Three Nights in August so I thought this might be fun to read sometime in September or October
- Some more Elmore Leonard
- The Fifties by David Halberstam. I’ve read lots of his stuff and love how he makes a book out of a bunch of really good long essays about topics (and tying them altogether). This will be a good book for winter; long nights and some time off from work will give me a good chance to dive in.