I’m figuring I’ve finished 5 books so far and need to get 3 more to meet my goal. Here is what I’m more or less considering for the rest of the year.
- Jesus, Interrupted. Bart D. Ehrman. I’m 1/2 way through this as of August 4, 2009
- Rhino Ranch. Larry McMurtry. Just got it from Amazon. I want to see what happens to Duane. I may need to re-read The Last Picture Show to bring myself back to speed.
- Girls Like Us Sheila Weller. A biography of Carol King, Carly Simon, and Joni Mitchell. I’m thinking it will be an interesting view of the 70’s.
- A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. I figure I’ll be lost about 1/2 way through the 1st sentence.
- Friday Night Lights by H. G. Bissinger. I liked Three Nights in August so I thought this might be fun to read sometime in September or October
- The Power of Myth by Bill Moyers. I’ve tried Hero of a 1000 Faces by Joseph Campell and it was too much. I’m hoping the Bill Moyers book will be a little more approachable.
- Some more Elmore Leonard
- The Fifties by David Halberstam. I’ve read lots of his stuff and love how he makes a book out of a bunch of really good long essays about topics (and tying them altogether).
That should be a good year’s work (for me). And it definitely includes more fiction than last year.